Header Mobile Cardinal Service Logo


Sump Pump

Fire Safety and Electrical Tips for Homeowners: Protecting Your Home and Family with Cardinal

As a homeowner, it’s essential to be aware of the potential dangers of fires caused by electrical malfunctions. Electrical fires are among the most common causes of house fires, and they can lead to significant property damage, injury, and even loss of life.

At Cardinal Plumbing and Electric, we prioritize the safety of our customers above all else. That’s why we’re here to share some essential fire safety and electrical tips that will help you protect your family and property.

1. Schedule Regular Electrical Maintenance

Having your electrical system inspected regularly by a licensed electrician is crucial for fire prevention. During a maintenance appointment, an electrician will check for any potential hazards such as worn-out wires, overloaded circuits, and malfunctioning appliances that may lead to a fire.

2. Avoid Overloading Circuits

Overloading circuits is one of the leading causes of electrical fires. It happens when you plug too many appliances into a single outlet or a power strip. The excess load can cause the wiring to overheat, leading to a fire. Always make sure to distribute the power evenly, and if you need additional outlets, consider installing new ones.

3. Be Careful with Extension Cords

Extension cords are a convenient solution for reaching distant outlets, but they can also pose a risk if not used properly. Avoid running extension cords under carpets, and never plug a power strip into an extension cord. Doing so could cause the cord to overheat and start a fire.

4. Unplug Appliances When Not in Use

Leaving appliances plugged in when not in use is not only wasteful but also a potential fire hazard. Appliances that use electricity can still produce heat when they’re off, and leaving them plugged in increases the risk of electrical fires. To reduce this risk, make it a habit to unplug appliances when you’re not using them.

5. Keep Flammable Objects Away from Electrical Outlets

Flammable objects such as curtains, bedding, and furniture should be kept away from electrical outlets. If an outlet becomes overheated, the heat could easily ignite any nearby flammable objects, causing a fire.


In conclusion, electrical fires can be prevented by taking the necessary precautions to protect your home and family. Regular electrical maintenance, avoiding overloading circuits, being careful with extension cords, unplugging appliances when not in use, and keeping flammable objects away from electrical outlets are all essential steps to take.

At Cardinal Plumbing and Electric, we take pride in providing our customers with top-quality electrical services that prioritize their safety. Contact us today for all your electrical needs and for more information on fire safety.

Related Blogs

Electrical Home Inspection And Maintenance For The Upcoming Spring Season

As the flowers begin to bloom and the days grow longer, spring heralds a perfect time for homeowners to address the essential upkeep of their homes. One crucial aspect that often goes overlooked...


Understanding the Effects of Cold Weather on Your Plumbing and Electrical Systems

The Canadian winters not only bring the need for warm coats and hot chocolate but also pose challenges impacting your home's plumbing and electrical systems! As temperatures drop, homeowners should be vigilant about...


When Should You Replace Your Electric Generator? Signs to Look Out For

Electric generators are indispensable devices, providing us with power during those unexpected moments when the grid fails. For homeowners and businesses alike, having a reliable generator can make all the difference during power...